Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Could've...But Didn't

8:00 on Tuesday Night

I could have...
...worked on job applications,
...replied to the emails that have been lingering in my inbox,
...researched for our Trip of a Lifetime 2.0,
...washed the dishes,
...baked some cookies for my husband,
...called my sister or my mom on the phone,
...started compiling pictures for our annual photo album,
...brainstormed ideas for my next slice,
and
...kept myself busy until midnight.

But I didn't. 

Instead, I...
...put on my most comfortable jammies,
...crawled into bed,
...started a new book,
and
...read until my eyes burned with fatigue and refused to stay open any longer (about 30 minutes).

6:00 on Wednesday Morning
I feel...
...refreshed,
...alert,
...ready,
and
...thankful that I put all of the "could have"s and "should have"s out of my mind for one night.

After all, they will all still be there waiting for me tonight.

5 comments:

  1. Such good advice!!! Maybe I should print this and post it on my computer! :))) " Read until my eyes burned with fatigue" love this!! I haven't read in too long, "forgetting" to pick up book club books. . .hmmmm. . .
    www.parentingandpedagogy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved your line "read until my eyes burned with fatigue and refused to stay open any longer" Such a great image. Always important to take time for ourselves to do what we love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can relate. There are always a list of things I could have or should have done ... but every once in awhile it feels good to choose something different. I'm glad you were refreshed the next day knowing your list was still waiting for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum...what was the new book? xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's called "Same Sun Here." It's a story in the form of pen pal letters exchanged between an Indian immigrant girl in NYC and a young boy in KY. So far, I'm enjoying it! I'm trying to expand my repertoire of juvenile fiction books to hopefully benefit future students. :)

      Delete