Thursday, March 13, 2014

"Dear Mom....10 Things Right Now"

As I've perused various SOL blogs recently, I have come across a series of "10 Things Right Now" posts, inspired by the previous creative work of Ali Edwards and Mandy Robek.  Many of these have been tender thoughts written from mothers to their children. I contemplated writing my own "10 Things" post but abandoned the idea quickly after I realized that I didn't have a child to direct my sentiments toward. I felt like I didn't have anything to share. That is, until my mental light bulb illuminated and I had the idea to compose a "10 Things" post in reverse--from daughter to mother.

So, without further adieu: "Dear Mom...10 Things Right Now..."

10. I hear your voice come out of my own mouth almost daily. "It's happening...I'm turning into my mother!" Our culture often tells us that this is bad thing, something to be lamented. I am so fortunate to be able to sing these words with glee. "You are just like your mother" is the kind of compliment that could put a spring in my step for the rest of the day.

9. I wish we lived closer. Being 500 miles away is definitely better than being 6,600 miles apart, as we used to be, but it's still too far. As great as the cliche of "miles apart but close at heart" sounds, it really doesn't cut it when I just want to meet up and have a 2-hour lunch/gabfest with you. Have you made any progress on convincing Dad to move out here?

8. For some reason, when you look in the mirror, you see the emergence of wrinkles, bags, and sun spots. There must be something wrong with your mirror because when I look at you, I see nothing but beauty.

7. To this day, I will not...I cannot... shop for clothes with anyone besides you. Whenever I need a new outfit, I find myself aimlessly walking around Kohl's, wishing you were with me. I may have inherited your desire to be trendy but unfortunately I missed the chromosome that contains the ability to look at individual articles of clothing and put them together in a combination that "works." I need you with me when I shop. Don't even get me started on searching for jeans. There is not a single other person on the planet that I trust to honestly answer the question, "Do these pants make my hips look big?" Even if the answer has, on occasion, made me cry.

6.  Thank you for always being there for me. Thank you for loving me, encouraging me, inspiring me, disciplining me, coaching me, teaching me, and caring for me. Just, thanks.

5. You are not only my mom, but also my best girlfriend. I don't know how I ended up with such an amazing 2-for-1 deal, but God certainly blessed me with you. I love our mother/daughter friendship and the crazy, open, honest relationship we have with each other.

4. I think you are amazing for switching careers and for excelling in your new role! Few people would have had the guts to make such a "life change"...and even fewer would have been so successful. You are an incredible woman.

3. I hope that one day I will be the kind of mom to my child(ren) that you have been to me. Sometimes being a mom scares me because of how much responsibility comes with that title. How will I possibly care for someone like you cared (and care) for me? How will I just "know" when they are in trouble... or when they are hiding something? How will I exhibit the enduring patience that you have with me? How will I know exactly the right thing to say, as you always do? Will you teach me?

2. Growing up, I always thought that great marriages were the "norm" because that was what you and Dad modeled for us at home. I naively assumed that most kids grew up in a family similar to ours. It wasn't until I got out in the "real world" that I realized how atypical you and Dad really are. Thank you for modeling what a loving, committed, selfless, godly marriage looks like for me every day for the last 26+ years.

1. I love you.

2 comments:

  1. Your post made me smile and think of my own mom! I love your lines: "For some reason, when you look in the mirror, you see the emergence of wrinkles, bags, and sun spots. There must be something wrong with your mirror because when I look at you, I see nothing but beauty." Now that's love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an amazing tribute...if I was your mom, I would be crying right now. I miss my daughter so much lately. xo

    ReplyDelete